Telecommunication Engineer with experience in R&D networking labs as testing and integration engineer (in other words, check behavior of different communication protocols: Diameter, SS7, IP/SNMP, etc), as well as setting up the SDH management infrastructure that will be used by the NOC to see what's going on with the network (maintenance of EMS/NMS servers, IP/SNMP distribution network, DCC subnets). Both are Unix based environments (Solaris, HP-UX, Red-Hat, SuSE).
Hardworking, resourceful, very creative, take care of details looking for continuing my career as information systems developer.
Intelligent Network Integration & Testing Engineer for Telefonica's Altamira Platform (nominated subcontractor)
Dates: May 2008 - Aug 2010 Altamira introduction: Altamira is the Telefonica's online charging system that 14 South American countries are using in their mobile networks. In 2010, O2 UK started charging with it, and also were working with O2 Germany. Certification Engineer Role:
- Certify different GGSN manufacturers, prove that they speak the same protocol version than Telefonica's OCS.
- Diameter protocol analysis (an evolution of Radius) to check proper behaviour. Diameter is AAA solution for accounting the GPRS data consumed by the user.
- Altamira’s Diameter interface certification: SandVine DPI and Huawei GGSN Diameter certification in Colombia (Bogota preproduction lab).
Tier 3 Support Engineer Role: We were very close to development process of the OCS. We have 14 labs in R&D to simulate real scenarios of each country whenever an incidence scale up to manufacture level. Duties:
- Prepare integration testing plan.
- Study network behaviour: through many different sources, such as wireshark/tcpdump captures, logs and CDRs of each regression.
- Tests execution: on testing lab (using protocol simulators) as well as pre-production (using mobile phones).
- Usual lab administration and functional testing tasks: prepare labs, install services, documentation describing different communication protocols and interactions, check test results.
Testing Framework Development:
In order to be able to make a proper certification process, a testing framework was developed (virtual machine architecture deployed across a tree of projects and users), able to:
- Prepare the lab: capture database, restart processes, clean enviroment of the bunch of machines involved
- Shoot the messages: generate and send messages of Diameter and Camel.
- Restore the lab: capture database, restart services, collect all different files from all different machines.
- Summarize: filter results in order to study the behaviour of the entire system.
- Strong scripting abilities: I wrote a complete system in bash, dealing with concurrency issues, inter-process communication and interaction with several machines. I think I can automate almost anything in a very clean way.
- Analytic and Troubleshooting skills: all the time I have to locate in which part of the conversation something were wrong, which means, understanding roles of different components and interactions in order to find who was not doing what it should.
SDH Network Support Engineer in Dominion Tecnologias
Dates: March 2007 - May 2008 Company introduction: Dominion Tecnologías represents ECI Telecom and RAD Data Communications in Spain, two network equipment manufacturers from Israel. They sell networking solutions, provide the equipments and give Tier 1 and 2 support. Duties:
Manteinance of management infrastructured required by the SDH NOC (Network Operations Center). SDH network has two types of traffic: user and management ones. Our task is to ensure that management traffic is working properly 90% of time, so NOC can provide their technical support to end users since they always see what's going on with the network.
- EMS/NMS servers maintenance: database backup and restore, SDH connections.
- IP/SNMP distribution network: a collection of Cisco routers with static routing tables that carries the DCC signaling to the EMS servers.
- DCC subnetworks: check how to expand the network properly according to manufacture recommendations.
- Restore call center links: issues with IPMux between South America and Spain.
- SDH Network synchronism design: two new clocks were inserted in SDH Network, I had to study best places to locate them by drawing a clock propagation diagram.
Intelligent Network Lab Manager in Bell Labs
Dates: May 2001 - Jan 2002 Project Introduction: Bell Labs Intelligent Network product is probably the most mature and prestigious online charging system in the world, since the first Intelligent Network in AT&T times. Duties:
- Hardware and software maintenance of Intelligent Network Unit lab machines:
- Scheduling access to each machines: each tester need specific configuration of the lab during certain time slots.
- Hardware mantainance: replace cards, hard drives and properly reconfigure the system.
- Installing updates: each new release should be installed.
- Back Ups on DLTs: using SAM HP-UX tool.
- Establish SS7 links: through network consoles or/and using space-time matrix for timeslots connections.
- Successful redesign of the lab: move all machines to a new place, so, design AC/DC power distribution, cooling system, configured machines and simple monitorization system (basically, terminal server that give access to all machines from a single computer).
- Web Page for Lab Resources Management: Access database for controlling machines schedule, access, HW requirements, etc.
- Organized working way: everything properly documented; procedures to follow for each task, components required for the lab, etc.
- Unix skills: HP-UX and solaris machines. This was my first touch with unix systems on big servers (HP-9000 N4000, Sun Netras, Lucent SCP, etc.). I had a mentor that teaches me everything from the very beginning.
- Troubleshooting skills: finding and fixing errors, most of the time just replace HW components or check connections.
- Hardware and software maintenance of Intelligent Network Unit lab machines:
Unix Administration in Royal Spanish Mint
Dates: Jan 2002 - Sep 2002 Company Description: The Royal Spanish Mint is a digital certification institution. All modern spanish ID cards has a chip containing digital signatures and RSA keys in order to make safe transactions in the internet, those signatures are emitted by this institution. Also, tax payments can be done through those security services. Duties:
- Keep security services working: in order to meet that goal I wrote some bash and awk scripts. It was pretty bored, so I quit soon.
Web designer in Art Media Company
Dates: Jan 2001 - March 2001 Duties:
- JSP based Web pages design.
Master Thesis in Stuttgart University Title: System Overview and Radio Network Planning with IEEE 802.16 (WiMAX). Dates: Sept. 2006 - April 2007 Upper Telecommunication Engineering in Madrid Polytechnique University Specialization: Networking and Communication Services Dates: Sept. 2003 - Nowdays Diploma Thesis in Madrid Polytechnique University - Honor Mention Title: Wavelet Packets-Based Transform Coding Using Vector Quantization. Dates: September 1999 - December 2000 Technical Telecommunication Engineering in Madrid Polytechnique University. Specialization: Radar and other Radio Systems Dates: September 1996 - September 1999
- Object Oriented Languages: Java.
- Structured Oriented Languages: C.
- Scripting: bash, awk, Matlab.
- HW Design: Microcontroller coding, RF/Microwave circuits with Libra, Operational Amplifier based circuits with PSpice.
- Operating Systems: Linux (Ubuntu, SuSE, RH), Solaris, HP-UX, MAC-OS, Windows.
- Networking: GSM/GPRS/UMTS, WiMAX, SDH, ISDN and all protocols involved.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Take care on details.
- Hardworking, I enjoy playing with different technologies.
- Good writting skills: straight to the point, using graphical language for better understanding.
- Strong self-motivation if I can imagine the final result of the creative process.
- Master Thesis written and presented in English (2006-2007).
- One Year in Dublin (1992-1993).
German Just starting with. Spanish Mother tongue.
Career Orientation Software modelling and development. I would like to continue studying software techniques in a very practical way. Other particulars
- Continue my studies abroad.
- Willing to travel.
- No driving license.
- Hobbies: swimming, philosophy and history, classical music, writing, reading.